Monday, February 13, 2012

Days 2 and 3 The Quest for the Body Beautiful



Days 2 & 3

It occurred to me early on Saturday morning that perhaps as the time is looming closer, that I should be starting to get serious about my training. Up until now, my 'training' has consisted of walking Hugo and Xanthe my trusty side kicks (TSK's ) around the streets and possibly to the park in the mornings. Don't get me wrong, the TSK's love their morning walk - as do I, because (a) no one else in my family will do it, and (b) I get to listen to all my nerdy pod casts that trust me NO ONE wants to listen to in the rest of the house.

So, I came up with a plan…… It was genius. I devised a pure "Jim Hungerford" method of training…I got the backpack out (it now stinks so no one will be using that one again…), filled it full of weights - now let me explain "weights" I had to improvise here. Similar to MacGiver I searched the house for suitable "weights", fearing Julie would kill me if I stole out anything of substance, I resorted to …… yes filled hot water bottles…… OMG Im a genius. Then I found some old leg and arm weights that Julie had bought me in an earlier lifetime (funnily enough to avoid the whole "hot water bottle scenario" ) and I think I had a decent 10kg in total. How do I know this? because I guestimated - I'm as good as positive - of course it could have been 20kg, it felt like 50kg by the time I returned. Its a bit like catching fish - it just gets bigger.

Anyway, I got off track there for a second (must remember not to do that when I'm actually on the trail), so I set off with the TSK's and we walked for about 3kms…. Please restrain yourself from gasping. After taking the TSK's home I continued on my own with my MacGiver backpack and headed out again into the wilds of Collaroy. Only issue? it pissed down. So there I was, in my new trekking boots, my new shorts and my nerdy pod cast happily blaring away and I looked like a drowned rat. I fear this is a taste of things to come.

To be continued…….

https://shepherdcentreperuchallenge.gofundraise.com.au/page/HungerfordJ

1 comment: